Here i’m going to teach you how to make a RC car.
DC motors ( 200 rpm ) – 4 nos.
12 V Battery.
2 DPDT switches.
A metal body for you car .
My Final car ! 🙂
- Everyone knows that a Motor rotates clockwise if connected normally . and rotates anti-clockwise if the terminals are inverted .So this simple logic is used to make you bot to move forward or backward . You need to control 4 motors here.
- For forward movement of the bot – the two motors on the right side must rotate clockwise and the two motors on the left side must rotate anti-clockwise.
- For reverse movement of the bot – (vice versa) the two motors on right side must rotate anticlockwise and two motors on left side must rotate clockwise.
Now you may wonder, how to the bot can move left or right ?
- For this case we use two DPDT switches . The 2 right side motors are connected to the right DPDT switch and the 2 left side motors to left DPDT switch .So each switch controls one side of the bot ,leaving the other side to stay still, thus making the bot to move left or right.
- There are 3 pairs of terminals in a DPDT switch . The center pair is for the battery connection and the top and bottom pair is for forward and reverse respectively.
Step 1.The motors are fixed to the metal body and the tyres are fitted to the motor shafts.
Step 2.The 12V battery is connected to the center teminals of both DPDT switches .
RIGHT SIDE DPDT SWITCH:-
Step 3. Connect the right side motors to the top terminals of RIGHT SIDE DPDT SWITCH.Connect it normally ( +ve and -ve ) so that the two motors on right side rotates clockwise when the switch is pressed to top position.
Step 4. Just cross the connections of the top terminals to the bottom terminals using two wires , so that your right side motors rotate anti-clockwise when the switch is pressed to bottom position .
LEFT SIDE DPDT SWITCH :-
Step 5. Connect the left side motors to the top terminals of LEFT SIDE DPDT SWITCH.Connect it inverted ( -ve and +ve ) so that the two motors on left side rotates anti-clockwise when the switch is pressed to top position.
Step 6. Just cross the connections of the top terminals to the bottom terminals using two wires , so that your left side motors rotate clockwise when the switch is pressed to bottom position .
NOTE :- I have shown 3 DPDT switches in the pic , but i have not used the center one . so dont get confused . forget it . only 2 DPDT switches are needed.
ALL DONE !! 🙂 🙂 🙂
The following switch positions will give you the respective movement.
L-DPDT switch R-DPDT switch Movement
TOP TOP Forward
BOTTOM BOTTOM Reverse
—nil—– TOP Left
TOP –nil– Right
TOP BOTTOM 360 right
BOTTOM TOP 360 left
A Video of my RC CAR ! Check video of this RC CAR at a MIT College competition <ClickHere>
Go and Make your own now ! 🙂